Kell's Reading Realm

Life is short, read fast!

Kells

The Dark on the Other Side
Barbara Michaels, Elizabeth Peters
Progress: 52/352 pages
Witch
Barbara Michaels

Inglorious Royal Marriages: A Demi-Millennium of Unholy Mismatrimony

Inglorious Royal Marriages: A Demi-Millennium of Unholy Mismatrimony - Leslie Carroll What do you get when you are forced by your parents to marry for position, usually to a family member as close as your first cousin? A very unhappy life. This book highlights many of those marriages. I found it interesting that although infidelity was a way of life, especially for royal marriages, most of the wives were completely wrecked when their husbands partook in it. I guess it's one thing to know it will happen and it's another to actually live it. Since the beginning of time woman wanted to be the center of their husbands' worlds but rarely they were, even if their husbands loved them. Not even a Queen could command her husband's full attention.

I like how the author broke down each marriage into chapters. I also liked how the author didn't only focus on the marriages, but she made sure to give the reader the highlights of historical events that were taking place at the time. The book is a great read and also a great history lesson. I especially loved the chapters dealing with the English and French royal marriages.